Monday 8 May 2017

Science on the light table with x-rays

The first time I saw a light table, I was fascinated. I knew I wanted one for my classroom!
I immediately started searching for fun light table activities that would work well with my subjects. I never dreamed how many different ideas were out there!
If you have a light table, you know what I am talking about.
There’s  a lot of talk about our bodies and bones, so this activity is a great way to expand on that and talk about bones and bone structure.



Our  x-rays has a color paper to match each  x-ray so the students laid them out,  and studied how each bone was formed.

The students saw each set of X-rays; the first and second sets were of the neck and upper spinal cord area while the third set was the bone marrow of one vertebrae from the spinal cord. This way, they learned that the spinal cord is composed of individual vertebrae and that each vertebrae contains
bone marrow in the center.

2 comments:

  1. The teachers at my school collected a selection of x-rays from the families to keep for school activities like your light box activity. She reuses the collection each year. Were you getting the students to identify the bones or body parts? It looks fun, I wish I'd saved the x-ray of my daughter's arm from when she broke it...uhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea!!!!
    We were using my cervical spine X-ray, with pictures of the 7 neck (cervical) bones. It was easy to identify them.

    ReplyDelete