Tuesday 4 July 2017

Hands on Science Sexto: Activity 11 - Using solubility differences

I have already written a solubility experiment for Hands on Science (4o) that was about dissolving sugar so I thought I would write something a bit different here. 
In this activity, the students can investigate the alcohol soluble and insoluble components of plants.  The basic extraction procedure used here is especially good for soft leaved aromatic herbs like mint.  I extracted the water, colour (chlorophyll) and smell (menthol) from the leaves and left the alcohol solution to evaporate till I had a green sticky residue that smelled of mint.  I've brought maths into the activity by getting the students to find the masses of their plant samples before and after extraction to quantify how much material was soluble in alcohol.  The dried out brown plant fibres are the insoluble remains of the leaves.

This activity is connected to the Matter unit.  I used mint, carrot, rose petals and turmeric root.  The students can make observations about what is going on and they can also calculate how much material is soluble.  I have listed this in 3 parts but I don't think that they would be complete classes and parts 1 and 2 can be done on the same day; part 2 is quite short.

Warning: do not try to wash up the evaporated alcohol soluble residues, they are super sticky and quite staining.  I had yellow hands the next day when I washed my tupperware containers - use plastic plates and throw them away afterwards!  
  
Link to activity (pdf):  Solubility Activity

No comments:

Post a Comment